- African and Afro-Diasporan cultures, histories, and spiritualities
- Black radical traditions of liberation and consciousness
- Anti-colonialism and anti-slavery
- Buddhist philosophy
- Social and environmental justice
- African and Afro-Diasporan art, music and literature
- The prison industrial complex and mass incarceration
- (Kemetic) yoga, healing and mindfulness
- Intersections with Indigenous cultures
- Addiction and recovery
- Trans-generational trauma
Afrikan Wisdom represents an intersectional, cross-pollinated exploration of Black life--past, present, and future.This book will prove both an inspiration and a motivation for Black readers, as well as anyone else interested in reading about emerging spiritual voices.
Valerie Mason-John (Author, Editor) is a public speaker and master trainer in the fields of conflict transformation, leadership, and mindfulness. They are the award-winning author or co-author of eight books, including E ight Step Recovery: Using The Buddha's Teaching to Overcome Addiction, winner of the Best USA Book Award 2014 and Best International Book Award 2015 in the self-motivational and self-help category.
Mason-John is the co-creator of Mindfulness Based Addiction Recovery (MBAR) and is a certified professional Mindfulness Teacher, Recovery Coach, Life Coach, and a Compassionate Inquiry Facilitator and Practitioner. They have been practicing mindfulness for over 30 years and are one of the leading African-descent voices in the field of mindfulness and addiction, training professionals working in the field of addiction all over the world.
Mason-John--also known as Vimalasara--was ordained into the Triratna Buddhist Community and is a senior teacher in this tradition. They are the chairperson of the Triratna Vancouver Buddhist Centre in British Columbia, Canada, and leads retreats nationally and internationally. They live in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Publisher: North Atlantic Books (July 20, 2021)
- Language: English
- Paperback: 384 pages
- ISBN-10: 1623175623
- ISBN-13: 9781623175627
- Item Weight: 1.05 pounds
- Dimensions: 5.51 x 0.95 x 8.48 inches