Come Over To My House is a delightful picture book that explores the home lives of children and parents who are Deaf or disabled.
Co-written by disability advocate Eliza Hull and bestselling author Sally Rippin, the inclusive rhyming text authentically explores the characters' various disabilities.
A cast of friendly characters invite friends over for a play - there's fun to be had, food to eat and families to meet!
Come over to my house. Come over and play!
I'll show you around, you can stay the whole day.
We'll swing on the swing-set and splash in the pool.
Then I'll race you inside where my bedroom is cool.
Featuring a gorgeous die-cut cover, bright illustrations and a diverse cast, this is a must-read for all families.
- The perfect book to start a conversation about disability and inclusion with parents, care-givers and children.
- Inclusive text normalizes rather than emphasizes the characters' various disabilities. Disabilities are often only shown in the illustrations, not spelt out in the text. This allows the characters' personality to shine brighter than their difference.
- The bouncy rhyming text is a joy to read out loud.
- Sally Rippin's books have sold over 10m copies globally (across Australia, New Zealand and the US).
- The story falls under three Bright Light pillars: bodies, diversity and character.
Sally Rippin is one of Australia's best-selling and most-beloved children's authors. She has written over 50 books for children and young adults, and her mantel holds numerous awards for her writing. Best known for her Billie B Brown and Hey Jack!, and Polly and Buster series, Sally loves to write stories with heart, as well as characters that resonate with children, parents and teachers alike.
Eliza Hull is a producer and musician based in Victoria. She has written music for American TV shows Awkward, Teen Wolf and Saving Hope, and is currently writing the film score for Australian feature film Swallow. Most recently, Eliza produced an eight-part podcast series, We've Got This, on parenting with a disability, for the ABC - as well as a podcast series on disability and relationships for ABC Radio National. Eliza is a proud disabled woman, with a physical disability. She is the Access and Inclusion Coordinator for Arena Theatre.
- Publisher: Bright Light (August 01, 2023)
- Language: English
- Hardcover: 32 pages
- ISBN-10: 1761212680
- ISBN-13: 9781761212680
- Reading Age: 3 - 9 years
- Grade Level: Preschool - 4
- Item Weight: 0.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 19.0 X 11.0 X 0.4 inches