** NOTE: This listing is for pre-orders to be delivered during the Wildwood In-School Event on Tuesday, 12/5/23.
Please note: ALL orders placed via this page will be delivered IN-SCHOOL AND WILL NOT BE SHIPPED.**
The ultimate roadmap for adults helping tweens and teens navigate the rollercoaster of puberty.
Almost everything about puberty has changed since today's adults went through it. It starts, on average, two years earlier and stretches through high school… and for some, beyond. Gens Z and Alpha are also contending with a whole host of thorny issues that parents didn’t experience in their own youth but nonetheless need to understand: everything from social media and easy-access pornography to gender identities and new or newly-potent drugs. Talking about any of this is like puberty itself: Awkward! But it’s also critical for the health, happiness, and safety of today’s kids.
Bewildered adults have begged for reliable and relatable information about the modern adolescent experience. This Is So Awkward answers their call. Written by a pediatrician and a puberty educator—together the hosts of a lively and popular podcast on puberty, and moms to six teens between them—this is the handbook everyone has been searching for, and includes:
- Pointed advice about how to talk to kids about almost anything: acne, body odor, growth spurts, eating disorders, mood swings, sexuality, and more.
- Science-based explanations for all of puberty’s physical, emotional, and social changes, including the many ways hormones affect kids both above and below the neck.
- What adults needs to know about today's teen culture: their mental health drivers, the un-gendering of body image issues, the ways they think about sexual orientation, and more.
- Invaluable commentary straight from young adults just out the other side of adolescence that highlights what they wish the adults in their lives had known or done differently.
Eye-opening and reassuring, This Is So Awkward will help adults understand the turbulent pubescent decade and become confident guides for today’s kids.
Cara Natterson, MD, is a pediatrician and the New York Times bestselling author of The Care and Keeping of You series (more than seven million copies in print), Guy Stuff, and Decoding Boys. A graduate of Harvard College and Johns Hopkins Medical School, Dr. Natterson founded Order of Magnitude, a company dedicated to flipping puberty positive. She co-hosts The Puberty Podcast, co-authors The Awkward Roller Coaster Newsletter (both with Vanessa Kroll-Bennett), and founded Worry Proof, MD. Cara lives in Los Angeles with her husband and their two teenagers.
Vanessa Kroll Bennett is the founder of Dynamo Girl, a company focused on building kids’ self-esteem through sports, puberty education, and parent workshops. She runs all media at Order of Magnitude, a company dedicated to flipping puberty positive. She co-hosts The Puberty Podcast (with Cara Natterson, MD), hosts Conversations on Parenting and Beyond at the JCC Manhattan, and writes the Uncertain Parenting Newsletter about the messy process of raising tweens and teens. A graduate of Wellesley College, Vanessa holds an MA from the Jewish Theological Seminary. She lives in Northern Westchester with her husband and four teens.
- Publisher: Penguin Random House (October 10, 2023)
- Language: English
- Hardcover: 352 pages
- ISBN-10: 0593580958
- ISBN-13: 9780593580950
- Item Weight: 1.2 pounds
- This is So Awkward